Not sure what happened to the formatting - here it is again:

class QueensBase {
  int N = 2

  double doFitness(List <Integer> board) {
    List <Integer> leftDiagonal = new ArrayList(2*N)
    List <Integer> rightDiagonal = new ArrayList(2*N)
    double sum = 0.0D

    for ( i in 1 .. 2*N) {
        leftDiagonal[i] = 0
        rightDiagonal[i] = 0
    }
    for ( i in 1 .. N) {
        leftDiagonal[i+board[i]-1]++
        rightDiagonal[N-i+board[i]]++
    }
    for ( i in 1 .. ((2*N) - 1)) {
        int counter = 0
        if ( leftDiagonal[i] > 1)
            counter += leftDiagonal[i] - 1
        if ( rightDiagonal[i] > 1)
            counter += rightDiagonal[i] - 1
        sum += counter / (N - Math.abs(i-N))
    }
    // target fitness is 0.0
    // sum can be negative so return absolute value
    return Math.abs(sum)
  }
}

println new QueensBase().doFitness(1..16)