To be clear: You have to repeatedly execute "build" - not "rebuild". While it might seem logical that, if anything, "rebuild" fixes the problem, for my that was never the case: "rebuild" just took a long time, then failed with the same error. In my case, the problem always stays away for some time once the build works again.

I would try my suggestion first, since it will take no more than the time it takes for you to try to build your project several times. On the ther hand, if you have run into the same indeterministic problem, you will not be able to "find the point at which the code worked" - or, to be more precise, you will only think that you have found it, but it might just have worked by accident. In the beginning I did also not believe that the problem was indeterministic, since I kept changing thing until the build "worked again" - until I finally realized, that just clicking "build" several times in a row actually could make the build work (Note: My build does not have any steps outside of Groovy compilation over multiple modules).

mg