Who would be in favor of this, or parts thereof?  I'm anxious to see a
consensus so that steps toward the goal can be filled in over time.

1) httpd can't be used directly on Unix because of environment
   variable settings

  or "shouldn't", take your pick; I suspect that we're better off if
  httpd doesn't work anymore without some magic that people debugging
  it would know (maybe AP_DEBUG allows it to work directly)

  (Personally I'd prefer that httpd is the wrapper script, but I see
  one person definitely against that and one person definitely for
  apachectl being the wrapper script.)

2) httpd picks up the following function from apachectl:

   a) "apachectl start" -> "httpd -k start"
      (it is different from plain "httpd")

   b) "apachectl startssl" -> "httpd -DSSL -k start"

   c) "apachectl stop" -> "httpd -k stop"

   d) "apachectl restart" -> "httpd -k restart"

   e) "apachectl graceful" -> "httpd -k graceful"

3) apachectl becomes a simple wrapper script for httpd

   for the time being, most existing apachectl features will be mapped
   to their httpd equivalents

   a) "apachectl configtest" is mapped to the existing "httpd -t"
      invocation

   b) the apachectl commands listed above are translated into their
      new httpd equivalents, but generally we expect to pass the
      command-line through verbatim to httpd

   the following features are lost:

   a) "apachectl fullstatus"

   b) "apachectl status"