On 07/06/2017 11:13 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
works 4 me...

Doesn't for me. E.g. with a script like

<?php
  print("hi!\n")
  flush();
  sleep(1);
  print("hi!\n");
?>

it takes 1 second to receive a single chunk with both lines in it.

From a quick skim I assume this is because we don't use nonblocking sockets in the proxy implementation. (There's even a note in mod_proxy_fcgi that says, "Yes it sucks to [get the actual data] in a second recv call, this will eventually change when we move to real nonblocking recv calls.")

On 07/06/2017 11:08 AM, Helmut K. C. Tessarek wrote:
> What is your take on this?

If I'm honest, my brutally blunt take on it is "stop using HTTP to try to emulate push notifications within a single response; pretty much everything in the ecosystem is actively working against you at this point; responses are designed to be cacheable and deliverable as a unit, not as multiple pieces; and we've had *real* solutions like WebSocket for five years now rabble rabble rabble." But I don't actually think that's going to be the accepted answer.

It probably makes sense to work on a nonblocking architecture for proxied responses in general.

-Jacob