Am 4. August 2017 13:27:16 MESZ schrieb Chiyuan Zhang <plus...@gmail.com>:
>1. There are some people who contribute to MXNet due to something else
>(e.g. he used MXNet in his project and would like to contribute back
>examples, or bug fix, or new operators, etc.)

Many Apache projects are building software where end users are developers, not
unlike what happens at mxnet I suppose.

Now from what I've seen a common pattern for successfully recruiting new
committers, growing and diversifying communities is a scratch your own itch
approach: I know of several ppl who came to an Apache project as mere users,
who started fixing things they needed fixed and who became committers to
projects before they knew what was happening to them. In my experience those
are the people who turned into project members who stayed longer than anyone
else, they had a vested interest in staying. Often over time these people
turned into Foundation members, helping out in various ways, e.g. mentoring new
projects entering through the incubator.

From my experience, my advise would be to treat everyone on any of your lists
as potential committer. Instead of trying to protect the project from evil by
locking down access try to establish a project vision and contributing
guidelines that make it easy to get involved in the right way - whatever that
means for mxnet, community over code is core to how the foundation works
because at the end of the day your project lives and dies with ppl being
interested in spending time on it (or not).

That shouldn't imply that it's not a good idea to write down how to become a
committer, you'll get that question often soon enough and will get tired
answering it ;)

Hope this helps,
Isabel