Thank you for your input Steffen,

I think going out and experimenting is the right mindset to address such issues.

One should not underestimate the fact that all emails on this user mailinglist go to all subscribers (in contrast to a forum where people have to actively look for things to answer).

What happened in many of the projects that I have been involved in is that users, who might not have the time to contribute code, but are still passionate about the project, start to answer questions on the mailinglist. Its also much easier for new people to participate in a discussion compared to sending pull requests.

The ASF was for example able to attract Ted Dunning (who's now a Director of Apache) via a user mailing-list. He started to regularly answer ML-related questions on the mailinglist and wasn't very keen on contributing code first :)

Best,
Sebastian