From: "Pierre Smits" <pierre.sm...@gmail.com>
Hi All,

I think it is very unwise to let endusers use the most disruptive version
available (the trunk) for evaluation purposes. It should only be available
for developers or other, more technically experienced persons who want to
assess the underlying (technical) implementations.

We have both communications in place. At the right places in the site.

+1

The statement "the trunk is bug free is and all problems are fixed within
hours" not only misleads the enduser, but it also puts an enormous pressure
on developers and committers. Plus, it might lead to the ASF being liable
for not delivering.

Seems most of us are heading in the same direction..

Pierre

Op 8 april 2012 10:55 schreef Scott Gray <scott.g...@hotwaxmedia.com> het
volgende:

Wow what a long thread for such a simple issue, thanks for being so
patient Jacopo.

At the end of the day users simply shouldn't be downloading the trunk,
it's intended for OFBiz developers and testers only.  To pretend that the
trunk is bug free is and "all problems are fixed within hours" is naive at
best and a straight out lie at worst.  The trunk also isn't guaranteed to
conform to the ASLv2 and at numerous points in the past it hasn't.
 Continuous deployment from the trunk is a flawed strategy that puts the
stability of your system into the hands of a random collection of OFBiz
committers of varying quality, how that makes good business sense to anyone
is beyond me.

Regards
Scott

On 8/04/2012, at 8:31 PM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> "Do not include any links on the project website that might encourage
non-developers to download and use nightly builds, snapshots, release
candidates, or any other similar package."

> Jacopo
>

> On Apr 8, 2012, at 10:12 AM, Hans Bakker wrote:
>
>> The page has a button "Download" to point a user (developer or not) to
the download of ofbiz system files.

>> Trunk should be part of that.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Hans
>>
>> On 04/08/2012 03:06 PM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>>> By the way, an interesting resource is the "Release FAQ":
>>>
>>> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
>>>
>>> I am quoting here a relevant part:
>>>
>>> =================================
>>> What Is A Release?
>>> Releases are, by definition, anything that is published beyond the
group that owns it. In our case, that means any publication outside the
group of people on the product dev list. If the general public is being
instructed to download a package, then that package has been released. Each
PMC must obey the ASF requirements on approving any release. How you label
the package is a secondary issue, described below.

>>> During the process of developing software and preparing a release,
various packages are made available to the developer community for testing
purposes. Do not include any links on the project website that might
encourage non-developers to download and use nightly builds, snapshots,
release candidates, or any other similar package. The only people who are
supposed to know about such packages are the people following the dev list
(or searching its archives) and thus aware of the conditions placed on the
package. If you find that the general public are downloading such test
packages, then remove them.

>>> Under no circumstances are unapproved builds a substitute for
releases. If this policy seems inconvenient, then release more often.
Proper release management is a key aspect of Apache software development.
>>> =================================
>>>
>>> Jacopo

compromise. So I let Hans handles that if he wants (no commits war
please)...

that recommnending to use trunk to users has been the
the project to get more contributions and I must say it's also
big deal, a patch is an easy way most of the time). See for

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/Apache+OFBiz+Getting+Started(BTW this needs certainly an update, but actually

http://markmail.org/message/vh7jrgmwfmxrd4bh

now (I mean backporting bugs, sometimes at my expense ;o).
release. I believe that this new way of doing allows 2 pathes

Hans: he is not in the position of being aggressive or forcing us
the merit to rule us (not to mention me); he did it in the past
trunk in the download page, please provide a valid motivation
favor of it I will be happy to accept and implement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleeding_edge_technology] and check
of art [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_the_art] because

there links to download code that has not been officially
asked us to fix the page in the past.

https://cwiki.apache.org/OFBADMIN/ofbiz-source-repository-and-access.html

containing the tentative release schedule for each release:

achievable) and at least users now have a clear vision of the
advance the migration of their custom instance.

official release. I'm just afraid: will we have not a lot of work to
update and especially demos updates)
other areas we are working on (Jiras, users support, etc.)
be the main goal of a community within the ASF: a release is
bug but we do not issue a release the users will not get real
regarding our way of doing releases. Some time ago, due to our change
activity would be lower, but it seems to be steady up... so far...