On 14/10/2016 10:35, Amend, Christian wrote:
Hi all,

I would like to reanimate this discussion. I have been trying to find
information about having an Repository which is not under Apache control as
part of an Apache project but I could not find any useful information about
this.
In my personal opinion we should not use the GitHub repository because as an
Apache project we should rely on Apache infrastructure. This allows all Olingo
PMC members to have committing rights and prevents a single person from having
to provide/own the GitHub repository.
Also I would see this as a good way to attract users/contributers to Olingo
which we might miss if the connection between the GitHub repository and the
Apache Olingo project isn`t clear.
Also in my opinion we would not lose anything by providing an Alpha version via
Olingo. If there is no feedback or contributions coming we can still decide not
to take this forward. This would also mean that the current Olingo PMC members
do not have to provide support for the Alpha version.

Here is a link on the Apache to GitHub features:
https://reference.apache.org/pmc/github for those interested. These features
could be useful to integrate the GitHub mirror more.

Please consider the points above and let me know what you think!

I have already expressed my preference below: a GIT repository, hosted at the ASF infrastructure, with full-fledged GitHub integration. We will not loose anything about attracting extra-ASF contribution, but as PMC we will retain control over the repository itself.

Obviously, this will require contributors to sign an ICLA, but I urge to remind that this is the one of the pillars of how The ASF works.

If this is seen as too onerous and discouraging new contributors, then simply The ASF is not the right place to be and the V4 JPA effort should better find its home as one of the numerous github-homed open source projects in the wild.
With no official relationship with the Apache Olingo PMC, naturally.

Regards.