On 10/11/2012 jan iversen wrote:
has anyone thought about making events that did not cost
600,- EUR + travel/hotel etc. ??

Yes, free (or with a nominal fee, like 10 EUR) events used to be the norm.

maybe it is time, we made a
OpenOffice (I do not write AOO on purpose) gathering, where developers can
talk to developers without the overhead of a big conference  company !!
I used to do participate in such events, which were highly successful, so I
can only recommend it (and would be pleased to help establish such a
non-commercial event).

Good idea. Maybe something related to 4.0 next Spring... It will require that someone organizes it and that it has appeal for most developers to attend, but for the rest there's nothing against organizing one: on the contrary, it would be very good to setup some "informal" gathering again.

Regards,
  Andrea.