Sorry for top posting, but I think we've discussed this enough to have
a sense of what our constraints are.

A quick proposal:

Let's start from this page:

http://www.openoffice.org/product/

That is linked to prominently from the homepage and the top navigation bar.

I propose adding a new section to the left navigation panel, between
"Products" and "More".  The new section will be called "Platforms" and
will link to four pages:

1) Windows

2) Mac

3) Linux

4) Ports

The first three will be new landing pages.  The last one will link to
the existing /porting page.

Each of the platform pages will have basic system requirements and a
link to the download page. They pages can grow to contain (or link to)
other platform specific instructions or FAQ's.

-Rob