On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 5:51 AM, janI <j...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Now that our wiki (mwiki) runs smoothly and performs quite well, it is
> slowly time to take a look at our other services.
>
> In order to determine what should/can be done, I need some figures.
>
> Can anybody help me with traffic figures for
>    wiki.o.o, forum.o.o (total for the vm not per language) and www.o.o
>
> Does end-users download directly from www.o.o or from a secondary site ?
>
> I need the following numbers (if possible):
>    - daily number of clicks (average)
>    - peak number of clicks within a short period like 1 hour
>

>From Google Analytics we have:

For wiki:  around 33K page views/day

For forums, I have no idea.  They are using a Google Analytics account (
UA-1087265-8) that is not connected with the rest of the website.  If that
could be updated to match the rest of the website we'd have typical numbers
in a week.

For the website as a whole (all subdomains tracked) it is around 730K/day
for a peak day.  If you subtract out the forum traffic and the downloads
(which serviced by SourceForge) then the static website is probably more
like 600K/day visits.

So that indirectly answers your other question -- the big download files
are from the SourceForge distribution network.  But we do have smaller
downloads, of documentation PDF's.  These are mainly from the wiki.

In terms of peaks, our biggest day usually Wednesday, lowest on Sunday.
The variation there around 200K/visits.

Hourly peak is around 15K visits for all tracked subdomains together.

Note:  for all of these I'm talking about "pages", where a single page
could include several HTTP calls, for the HTML, the Javascript, images,
etc.  Since anyone with Javascript not enabled would not register, the
actual numbers are probably a little bit higher than this.

In any case, one approach would be to enable GA for the Forums, track that
for a week or two and then compare that to the Wiki numbers.  If the stacks
are similar, then we could think of the traffic ratio between the two and
tune based on that.

> I would like to tune at least forum before we release 4.0 to prepare for a
> higher load. Tuning of www depend on a discussion with infra, because it is
> a shared service.

If it is like the release of 3.4.0 and 3.4.1 we'll get a few hot pages:

1) The announcement blog post.  With both 3.4.0 and 3.4.1 releases these
were heavily linked to by the press.  Roller went down in the 3.4.1 case.
I don't know if that was due to the traffic or not.  But we might want to
plan on having the announcement post be a static webpage just to be sure.

2) The homepage and http://www.openoffice.org/download page will be hot.
You can see from the download chart the boost we get when a new release
occurs:  http://www.openoffice.org/stats/downloads.html  (AOO 3.4.0 was May
8th 2012 and AOO 3.4.1 was Aug 23rd).