On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 12:37 PM, janI <j...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 6 April 2013 13:37, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 5:51 AM, janI <j...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > Now that our wiki (mwiki) runs smoothly and performs quite well, it is
> > > slowly time to take a look at our other services.
> > >
> > > In order to determine what should/can be done, I need some figures.
> > >
> > > Can anybody help me with traffic figures for
> > >    wiki.o.o, forum.o.o (total for the vm not per language) and www.o.o
> > >
> > > Does end-users download directly from www.o.o or from a secondary site
> ?
> > >
> > > I need the following numbers (if possible):
> > >    - daily number of clicks (average)
> > >    - peak number of clicks within a short period like 1 hour
> > >

> > From Google Analytics we have:
> >
> > For wiki:  around 33K page views/day
> >
> > For forums, I have no idea.  They are using a Google Analytics account (
> > UA-1087265-8) that is not connected with the rest of the website.  If
> that
> > could be updated to match the rest of the website we'd have typical
> numbers
> > in a week.
> >

> Thanks for your answers, but I am a bit scared you (as a PMC) tell me
> "they" use an account unknown to us. Who has the forum account ?
>
> I have the technical power to change it (sudo access) but if a PMC tell we
> do no know who owns it, it would not be right just to change it. Who but
> the "owner" can authorize a change ?
>
> I trust this is a misunderstanding somewhere, it cannot be that we run a
> service, that we do not control, in the sense of change management.

I assume this is just a legacy account from Sun days.  The same GA code was
used for other OOo-associated web services as well.

I raised this issue a year ago on this mailing list:

http://markmail.org/thread/mtknhgrwjkajj2ux

I'm assuming this is just a "lack of maintenance issue" and we can add it
to the list of other things that need attention.

> For the website as a whole (all subdomains tracked) it is around 730K/day
> > for a peak day.  If you subtract out the forum traffic and the downloads
> > (which serviced by SourceForge) then the static website is probably more
> > like 600K/day visits.
> >

> Why do I need to subtract forum, I thought they ran as a separate dns ? do
> we not count on basis of our template (that loads the GA account).

Sorry, I meant "subtract out the wiki" traffic.  GA reports the total
traffic for all tracked domains, and then allows filtering by URL pattern.
So total traffic minus the /wiki/ traffic minus the download traffic gives
us the static website traffic.

> > So that indirectly answers your other question -- the big download files
> > are from the SourceForge distribution network.  But we do have smaller
> > downloads, of documentation PDF's.  These are mainly from the wiki.
> >
> > In terms of peaks, our biggest day usually Wednesday, lowest on Sunday.
> > The variation there around 200K/visits.
> >

> Super just what I need.
>

> > Hourly peak is around 15K visits for all tracked subdomains together.
> >

> Do you know the division between mwiki, forum and www ?

I can't seem to filter on the GA screen that gives hourly detail, so I only
see the count cross-subdomain.

> > Note:  for all of these I'm talking about "pages", where a single page
> > could include several HTTP calls, for the HTML, the Javascript, images,
> > etc.  Since anyone with Javascript not enabled would not register, the
> > actual numbers are probably a little bit higher than this.
> >

> Good point, that is very important for a a traffic server, where e.g.
> javascripts would be cached.

We might be able to get the httpd logs from Infra, in which case we could
do more traditional traffic stats.

> I am trying to convince Infra, that we should have a common trafficserver
> for wiki and forum (and maybe www). Currently we use eresbus as proxy, and
> all packets are forwarded to the ooo-wiki2-vm where that trafficserver
> filters cached pages. Forum goes direct to httpd, so every packet causes
> mysql activity. If we had a trafficserver in eresbus, we would for wiki2
> save loads of network traffic and for forum network traffic as well as
> mysql activity.
>

> > In any case, one approach would be to enable GA for the Forums, track
> that
> > for a week or two and then compare that to the Wiki numbers.  If the
> stacks
> > are similar, then we could think of the traffic ratio between the two and
> > tune based on that.
> >

> I agree, but not being PMC, I do not feel I am in the position to "just"
> make that change. Who "owns" the forum, they should authorize such a
> change. I can make the change (provided you tell give me the GA line to
> insert) when I am sure I am not doing a change that someone else depend on.

I've certainly raised the issue on the list previously and there were no
objections.   If you have access let me know offline and I can give you the
codes.

Note that this root page is not in the Apache CMS.  It doesn't look
phpBB-related so there might be a static page out there on that host that
would need to be updated manually:  http://forum.openoffice.org/

> > > I would like to tune at least forum before we release 4.0 to prepare
> for
> > > higher load. Tuning of www depend on a discussion with infra, because
> it
> > is
> > > a shared service.
> > >

> > If it is like the release of 3.4.0 and 3.4.1 we'll get a few hot pages:
> >
> > 1) The announcement blog post.  With both 3.4.0 and 3.4.1 releases these
> > were heavily linked to by the press.  Roller went down in the 3.4.1 case.
> > I don't know if that was due to the traffic or not.  But we might want to
> > plan on having the announcement post be a static webpage just to be sure.
> >

> The blog post is on the general apache server and not our www, is that
> correct ?

Correct.