On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Armin Le Grand <armin.le.gr...@me.com>
>> wrote:
>>>     Hi Rob,

>>> There is a way to have a uncritical SVG version - just convert all text to
>>> polygons first (and use absolute polygon paths, e.g. in inkscape). That
>>> version would be safe since it would not use any font references, only
>>> graphics (polygons). Relying on font rendering in SVG does simply not work
>>> for multiple different systems, versions of these and even evtl. different
>>> languages and installed fonts.
>>>

>> That might fix this one issue, but what about older browsers like I.E.
>> 6?   Will the logo render perfectly everywhere?  We have challenges
>> getting even HTML and Javascript to work right everywhere.   I don't
>> think we want to risk having our brand image rendering poorly.  We've
>> gone 12 years with a raster logo on the website.  It works.
>>

> And I should mention that we get 200K+ visits/month from mobile phones
> and tablets as well.

And finally, converting to polygons in advance prevents the TrueType
engines from doing its best job at rendering the font hinting at
various scales.   Compare it yourself.  Take 12-point text, convert to
polygons and then scale up (or down) the polygons.  Then try again
with an actual font reference.  It might vary by font, but a
well-designed font will render much better if you do not convert to
polygons first.

-Rob