On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 08:18:34 +0100
Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/13/14 6:39 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 5:00 AM, Jürgen Schmidt
> > <jogischm...@gmail.com>wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have upload a new snapshot for Mac and Windows based on revision
> >> 1521921. I also update the related wiki page under [1] (quite painful
> >> after the confluence update).
> >>
> >> An overview of changes/fixes in this snapshot since AOO 4.0.1 can be
> >> found under [2].
> >>
> >> Mac is still 32 bit but my plan is that the next snapshot and future
> >> versions will be 64 bit.
> >>
> >> Linux is not yet available via the snapshot page because of some
> >> problems with the build machines. I recommend the builds from the Apache
> >> builds bots. The difference is only that the Apache bots have a newer
> >> baseline but will work on newer Linux systems.
> >>

> > OK -- it looks like we're still only generating .deb packages for 32-bit
> > Linux from SNAPSHOT, so 32 bit Linux folks must use nightly..
>
> do we have numbers how many 32bit downloads we have, I would assume that
> Linux is running under 64bit mainly.
>
> I am in favor to drop 32 bit Linux to reduce the number of binary
> builds. Any opinions? But probably better in a new thread ;-)
>
> Juergen

Many older computers will only run 32 bit Linux. This may not be common among
developers, but certainly is among older users and installers/linux advocates
who migrate older users to cast off machines from children.  My own main
editing comouter is a 32 bit running Xubuntu and OpenOffice. If I am asked to
salvage a cast off computer I normally reformat the HD and put 32 bit linux on
it without further thought, as this will run on nearly anything. I would regret
the loss of OO 32 bit.

Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>