On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 11:29 PM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 08:18:34 +0100
> Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 1/13/14 6:39 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> Apache
> > >>

> > > OK -- it looks like we're still only generating .deb packages for
> 32-bit
> > > Linux from SNAPSHOT, so 32 bit Linux folks must use nightly..
> >
> > do we have numbers how many 32bit downloads we have, I would assume that
> > Linux is running under 64bit mainly.
> >
> > I am in favor to drop 32 bit Linux to reduce the number of binary
> > builds. Any opinions? But probably better in a new thread ;-)
> >
> > Juergen
>
> Many older computers will only run 32 bit Linux. This may not be common
> among developers, but certainly is among older users and installers/linux
> advocates who migrate older users to cast off machines from children.  My
> own main editing comouter is a 32 bit running Xubuntu and OpenOffice. If I
> am asked to salvage a cast off computer I normally reformat the HD and put
> 32 bit linux on it without further thought, as this will run on nearly
> anything. I would regret the loss of OO 32 bit.

I also am on 32-bit Linux and I think others here may be as well. Yes, I do
have an older computer but I'm happy with it for now. So, WAH!, on the idea
of dropping the 32-bit binaries.

On my original question/complaint. I could change the buildbot script to
generate rpms (I think the 32 bit linux snapshot is only building for
"deb", en-US currently), but probably this buildbot instance would then
need to be restarted, which, I can't do.