>From an AOO PMC Member, I have compiled a high-level traffic analysis of discussion activity on the OpenOffice PMC private@ oo.a.o list. These are *statistics* and noisy ones at that. I am looking for trends that are good-enough at this level of precision. It is in the nature of private@ that message content and even the topics must be held in confidence.
This report of gross metrics is for the community's appraisal of current state and later progress. The movement of discussions to the community when the confidentiality requirements for PMC discussion do not apply should be seen in movements at this level. Further reports over the course of the year may provide an useful indicator. OVERALL PRIVATE MESSAGE TRAFFIC This is a breakdown of the traffic in the 212 days from January through July, 2015, by role of the sender. 2015 | Private List Messages thru July | PMC ASF Other All Totals 1145 182 31 1358 Senders 22 23 23 68 Per sender 52.0 7.9 1.3 20.0 (average) Per day 5.4 0.9 0.1 6.4 Of all the messages sent, 84% are by members of the PMC, 16% are by other ASF participants, and 17% are by others. The ASF participants include members of Apache Infrastructure, Officers of the ASF, and other ASF Members and staff who make posts to the private list. The "Other" senders are members of the public and non-PMC Apache OpenOffice contributors that raise questions or provide information to the PMC via private@. For the 1145 messages from the 22 PMC members who posted to the list so far this year, 49% of the messages are from the three PMC members who were the most vocal in the studied period. 75% of the messages are from the seven most vocal. 91% were from the most vocal 11 of the 22 PMC members that posted. I confess to being one of those top three posters. NUMBER OF SUBJECTS AND AMOUNT OF DISCUSSION A review of the same message archives, for January - July, 2015, tallied 168 subjects discussed across 1341 posts, about 0.8 new topics per day. The variance of 17 from the first tally is negligible and will not be corrected. The raw data is available for auditing by the PMC. 8.0 is the average number of messages on a single subject 5% is the portion of the overall messages used in the longest thread, one with 73 messages 50% of the messages are on the 20 longest discussion threads. The shortest thread in that group has 18 messages. 75% of the messages are on the 50 longest discussions. The shortest threads in that group have 8 messages. 90% of the messages are on the 84 longest discussions (i.e., half of the threads). The shortest threads in that group have 4 messages each. The remaining 10% consists of 84 threads having 3, 2, and 1 messages each. This does not speak to the quality or the necessity of these messages and any particular thread. The PMC has detailed supporting data. [end of report] --------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscr...@openoffice.apache.org For additional commands, e-mail: dev-h...@openoffice.apache.org