On 8/29/15 8:39 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:
> I'd love to see a comparison with a half dozen other projects.

I would discourage any reasoning based on aggregate message counts.
Every +1 on a PMC member VOTE counts as a message, for example.  The
thing to look carefully at is what is being discussed on the private
list.  A lot of discussion bearing on topics important to the
direction of the project is bad, bad, bad.  Healthy projects have
quiet private@ lists because pretty much everything they need to
talk about they can and do talk about on the public lists.  But
committer / PMC votes, security issues and occasional random legal
or must-be-private people-related things pop up and cause traffic
spikes when they do.  So I would not draw conclusions or do
comparisons based on message counts.  Better to compare what is
actually being discussed.

Phil