> On 03 Sep 15, at 12:33, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 09/03/2015 07:22 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:

> It laid off the programmers and gave the code and trademarks to the Apache

>>> It's not FUD. It's a link to an article.
>>>
>>> What would be awesome is if someone would write a counterpoint,
>>> which is non-confrontational, non-rageful, non-hateful, and
>>> non-reactionary, but just calmly presenting the reasons why someone
>>> might want to stay on OpenOffice.
>>
>> Write to the Guardian? I would do it, would love to do it, and clear
>> up issues. But I’m one of the *last* people who could do it, as I was
>> so involved in the project, from its inception to … now.
>
> I would think this would make you one of the best people to do it!
 :-)
But I like to believe I’m unbiased, and school myself in ways that hide from
myself me. And I’ld like to think that letters to the editor, esp. to the
Guardian, which I rather admire, ought to be impartial. (Note, impartial is not
the same as unbiased.) I’m partial.

But I also have another problem. This one is a particularly deep one. It has to
do with the value of AOO for *users* if not *developers*.

Bluntly: What is the value of AOO to users? What claim do we have over LO to
*users*?

I’ve been trying out LO now for some time, comparing it to AOO, looking at its
UI, seeing what templates, etc. they have that we don’t. Frankly, both our
ecosystems are wanting. They once were better, they once certainly promised
more, they now languish.

But if I’m a naive user, or even a company wanting support, what options do we
offer? And say that I, as a company, want some special features. What
extensions outreach do we have? What are we doing to make the community
interesting?

My challenges are not coming from a bad mood. It really has to do with looking
at it from a user’s perspective, from that of someone who just wants to write,
say, or have a spreadsheet. Once, we had good answers, good promotions. I think
we still could have these. But perhaps our efforts could be better spent
devising ways to collaborate with LO and give users the best experience we can
put together.

As to the realities of collaboration, including personalities and license? Yes.
I know. I was wounded by the TdF and felt betrayed; nor do I relish the
continued journalistic bias against us, nor the etceteras that one could add.
But I think this rather something to put aside.

Or do others on this list have a compelling reason to favour AOO over LO *for
the user*?

If so, what is it?

Louis

PS BTW my own tartly bent version of the world is framed by the question, Who
benefits from LO, esp. in Linux? A query which could also be sentenced as,
Besides Ubuntu (Canonical) what other Linux desktop and now enterprise distros
are there that have anything like the same popularity? RH? Implicitly then,
collaborating with LO/TDF, putting aside animus, favours those entities. Is
that a problem?