On Thursday, September 3, 2015, Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 03 Sep 15, at 15:13, Rob Weir <r...@robweir.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 9:54 AM, Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com
> <javascript:;>> wrote:

> http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2011/04/oracle-gives-up-on-ooo-after-community-forks-the-project/
> >.
> Apache

> $100
> But
> by
> led
> OpenOffice

> >> It's not FUD. It's a link to an article.
> >>
> >> What would be awesome is if someone would write a counterpoint, which is
> >> non-confrontational, non-rageful, non-hateful, and non-reactionary, but
> just
> >> calmly presenting the reasons why someone might want to stay on
> OpenOffice.
> >>

> > We did a survey on this question back in 2013.
>
> 2013 was ages ago.

I'm happy to repeat the survey.

> > The question was:
> > "You have a choice of several open source office suites. Why do you
> > use OpenOffice rather than alternatives like LibreOffice or Office?"
>
> Does KOffice even exist? Is it not Calligra? These data points are also a
> little murky. Many do obtain AOO and LO by downloading it. Others, say
> those using Ubuntu or Red Hat installations, or from public sector
> installations are less able to choose as individuals. The relevant
> executive makes the decision. Do we know what they are looking for?

Could deal with that via wording, e.g., offer a choice of "someone else
chose for me".  The point is we do not need to speculate.  This is
knowable.  We just need to ask.

As for public sector, the trend appears to be that when they move to open
source office suites, the press touts their move to "LibreOffice".  But
when the exact same agency decides to migrate from open source back to MS
Office the press reports that they've abandoned "OpenOffice".   Obviously
the 11th Commandment with open source press is "Thou shalt not speek good
of Apache OpenOffice".

Regards,

Rob