[ ... ]

> Meanwhile, it is interesting for contemplating a ready-to-release
> strategy. We would need to pick a step at which to hold a release that
> minimizes the time to put in one critical fix and ship it.
[orcmid]

It strikes me that an always-existing candidate for a ready to release is the
last-previous stable release.

The biggest reason is that there only needs to be regression testing, since it
is presumably well-established that said release is stable and that has been
confirmed on the ground by the success of users.

There could be something else that is close, but it strikes me that would
probably be a pending maintenance release that is basically about bug fixes and
any simple things.

I note that, for changing the installer, something we would like to do, the
rebuild of a stable release at least needs to be done and checked to see that
the install produces the same result.  If that were tested to satisfaction, it
would also qualify as a ready-to-release base without having to be put in the
wild.

 - Dennis