Hi Mathias,

> I tend to like the idea of using non-pro builds in QA, but we must
> recall why we have stopped to do that in the past. Rüdiger mentioned the
> performance problem, maybe there have been others.

Would be interesting to know. The only thing I heard in the past
whenever I asked is, hmm, not quotable in public :)

> Think about that - do you really think that the probability of such an
> incident is so high that it justifies to abandon the superior bug
> detection abilities that a test with activated debugging code gives to
> us? Should we follow a dogma (in a neutral meaning!) or should we just
> measure the trade-off: by using non-pro builds in QA we lose something
> (100% certainty to test the exact code we deliver to users), but we
> could gain a lot.

Indeed. I surely think it's worth it, and what you told about assertions
in CAT0 tests seems to strengthen this (assuming that most of those
assertions indeed point to bugs).

> A variant of "everybody uses builds that give assertions" could be that
> the QA uses assertion enabled builds for CWS, but for tests on master
> uses pro builds.

kinda like that idea.

> I want to throw in an idea that has been discussed some months ago, just
> to see if this could be a good compromise. As all compromises it has its
> pros and cons. So I would like to encourage you to think about the pros
> as (I'm sure ;-)) you immediately will discover its cons.

Hmm. Okay, trying to focus on the pros ... We have assertion facilities
in each and every build - great! We can enable assertions at a
customer's site - nice for "remote debugging" purpose.

On the other hand ... there's surely cons. Thinking about it, the
changed class layout mentioned by Eike seems to be the only one which
cannot be discussed away, i.e. is not bearable. Would be interesting to
know how many places are affected there.

Other than that, there's just my ... gut feeling that shipping a product
with that much of "diagnostic code" is not good ... but that might be
/me only :)

Ciao
Frank

--