Hi Bjoern,

> Assertions should be tested with the common tests (cwscheckapi has
> decent code coverage) preventing the non-pro master to become unusable.

Ah!

Did you know that testtool, the program for running automated UI level
tests on OOo, can capture and report assertions?

If you claim that assertions should be "tested with the common tests",
this immediately implies that testtool runs should be done on
non-product builds. Which brings the "QA should use non-products" topic
back onto the plate.

And I continue to think that if we're serious about assertions being a
cheaply available "first line of defense against bugs" (and it seems we
all agreed on that), then non-product builds should get a much higher
standing than they have now - in all departments: engineering, QA,
release engineering.

> Assertions should be visible enough to get reported and rare enough to
> allow usual testing and development on the nonpro builds.

Full agreement.

Still, we need the plan Stephan mentioned ... the plan how to reach
that. And effectively, I don't think we'll get anywhere without a
concentrated effort, much like it was done with warning-free code.

That is, we should dedicate time for making smoketest and cat-0 tests,
at the very least, assertion-free. Ideally, let's make all
testtool-tests assertion-free. Optionally, make API tests and complex
test assertion-free, too (though I think this would not be strictly
necessary in a first run).

Then, let's oblige everybody to use them in their daily work - at least
all developers and all QA engineers.

And finally, let's discuss how this obligation should look like, and if
it can reasonably be enforced by technical means (e.g. by aborting in
non-product builds).

Ciao
Frank

--
- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         frank.schoenh...@sun.com -
- OpenOffice.org Base                       http://dba.openoffice.org -

        • Re: [d... Christian Lippka
          • Re... Stephan Bergmann
            • ... Christian Lippka
              • ... Terrence Enger
              • ... Stephan Bergmann
              • ... Ingrid Halama
              • ... Frank Schoenheit, Sun Microsystems Germany
              • ... Frank Schoenheit, Sun Microsystems Germany
              • ... Stephan Bergmann
      • Re: [dev] ... bjoern michaelsen - Sun Microsystems - Hamburg Germany
        • Re: [d... Frank Schoenheit, Sun Microsystems Germany
          • Re... Mathias Bauer
            • ... Eike Rathke
              • ... Mathias Bauer
            • ... Frank Schoenheit, Sun Microsystems Germany
            • ... Thorsten Behrens
              • ... Mathias Bauer
  • Re: [dev] Should as... Terrence Enger