Lennard,

> They are dynamically included, by putting the relevant &layer-xxx;
> references at the right spot in osm.xml. The ordering of <Layer>
> elements in the stylesheet determines the order in which mapnik renders.

what do you mean by 'stylesheet' in this context?

> So water, for instance, is loaded by way of osm.xml including
> inc/layers.xml.inc, then including any file defined there, and then it's
> actually 'activated' by encountering &layer-water; in osm.xml itself.
> You may have missed that last bit.

yes, I see that. but to 'activate' my own layer, I'd still have to
manually edit osm.xml, wouldn't I?

it's actually a pit confusing, that osm.xml both references layers via
these external entities, and contains <Layer> and <Style> definitions on
its own.

> The normal osm.xml file on SVN does not have the xml.inc files included.
> They are dynamically loaded by libxml2 during parsing of osm.xml.

I see. the confusion comes from the content of these xml.inc files and
osm.xml in general to be of similar purpose. wonder what make something
get into a layer files, and what is in osm.xml itself.

> They would only be included in a stylesheet if you tell generate_xml.py
> to create a new stylesheet from osm.xml. You would also loose the
> ability to do a simple svn up to keep in sync with osm.org, as you would
> then also have to rerun generate_xml.py to recreate your local
> stylesheet, after every svn update.

yes, I see. my impression was that all of osm.xml is actually generated
from the includes & stuff, and contains no other information.

but, still. it seems that there is no 'simple' or 'elegant' way of just
dropping a new layer-foo.xml.inc file into inc, and to make osm.xml
automatically use the definitions in there. as at least one has to add
an external entity reference manually.

is this correct?

Akos