On 29-8-2010 14:31, Ákos Maróy wrote:

They are dynamically included, by putting the relevant&layer-xxx;
references at the right spot in osm.xml. The ordering of<Layer>
elements in the stylesheet determines the order in which mapnik renders.
what do you mean by 'stylesheet' in this context?

Mapnik uses a stylesheet to tell it what to render and how to render it. The OSM stylesheet is called "osm.xml" and is what I'm referring to.

yes, I see that. but to 'activate' my own layer, I'd still have to
manually edit osm.xml, wouldn't I?

Yes, by referring to your external entity (the xml.inc file) at the right place in the osm.xml stylesheet.

it's actually a pit confusing, that osm.xml both references layers via
these external entities, and contains<Layer>  and<Style>  definitions on
its own.

I know. Ideally everything would be found in the xml.inc files, and osm.xml would only be a small skeleton file, referring to the include files.

I see. the confusion comes from the content of these xml.inc files and
osm.xml in general to be of similar purpose. wonder what make something
get into a layer files, and what is in osm.xml itself.

When I started to implement the external entities (the include files), I took the easy cases and split them off into xml.inc files. Most of what remains is so interwoven (all the roads/railways/etc and all the bridge/tunnel variants of those) that I left that part alone.

but, still. it seems that there is no 'simple' or 'elegant' way of just
dropping a new layer-foo.xml.inc file into inc, and to make osm.xml
automatically use the definitions in there. as at least one has to add
an external entity reference manually.

is this correct?

That is correct, also because *you* have to tell mapnik *where* your style comes in the whole rendering order, by putting your &layer-xxx; at the correct spot.

--
Lennard