On 9 February 2018 at 13:52, Daniel Gruno <humbed...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 02/09/2018 12:38 PM, sebb wrote:
>> On 9 February 2018 at 10:03, Daniel Gruno <humbed...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hullo folks, time for a release methinks!
>>>
>>> This is a vote on the artifacts collected from the tree in the 0.10
>>> branch with commit hash a8ea8a044996ba0aea08fe59156edb79cd6f9db8.
>>>
>>> The tree can be inspected at
>>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-ponymail/tree/a8ea8a044996ba0aea08fe59156edb79cd6f9db8
>>>
>>> The release candidate is available at:
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ponymail/
>>>
>>> Specifically, this is a vote on
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ponymail/apache-pony-mail-0.10-incubating.tar.xz
>>> (md5, sha256 and sig files are provided as well).
>>
>> The above URL is mutable (indeed will be removed at some point) so it
>> would be helpful to include the contents of at least one of the hashes
>> in the vote mail.
>> Otherwise it won't be follow the provenance of the artefact.

"Otherwise it won't be follow the provenance of the artefact."
should be
"Otherwise it won't be possible to follow the provenance of the artefact."

The above still applies.

>> Also, why is the file compressed using xz?
>> That is a relatively unknown/new format and is unlikely to be
>> available on all systems.
>>
>> By all means provide that as well, but I think sources should be
>> provided as gzip and zip for maximum usability.
>
> xzip (LZMA) has been core in GNU for almost a decade now, and is
> preferred to gzip by modern applications (it is what you would use for
> distro packages on freebsd and most linux distros).
>
> It works on Mac as well as Windows (through 7zip), and achieves better
> compression than traditional gzip.

Both Mac and Windows require 3rd party apps to open the format.

The compression ratio is irrelevant here, because the file is small (ca. 1MB)

> IOW, there is no barrier to opening this file for our users that
> wouldn't exist with gzip.

That is not the case with xz which currently appears to be native only to Linux.

Most projects provide zip and tar.gz one or both of which can be
opened on Linux, macOS and Windows *without* needing to install a 3rd
party app.

Yes, they will be a bit bigger, but the formats are much more widely supported.