IMO, there are so many ways a string gets assigned to anything, not even
className, that the compiler can't know what assignments to className have
been made.  It also won't know for library (SWC) code that has been
pre-compiled.

Consider:

Public const foo:CLASS_NAME_ROOT:String = "MyCB";

Function setVisuals(arg:String)
{
        Element.className = CLASS_NAME_ROOT + arg;
}

It would take some doing for the compiler to know to not prune out
anything starting with "MyCB".

-Alex