There were issues identified with the original process as Chris and Carlos
worked through it that prevented them from completing it. Exposing any
problems in that itself is helpful, but I also observed that it was a very
frustrating discovery by Chris and Carlos, and we should be thankful it is
now known.

-The timestamp issue. Alex, you already suggested this was perhaps an issue
with the original process, and we are waiting to see if DST alignment is
the 'fix' (if it is, it still needs a real fix, we all agree).
-Chris mentioned that the compiler output is also inconsistent which makes
binary reproducibles a problem in the swf part of swcs. Perhaps there are
some settings for this that are not apparent to address it. In a swc, the
xml content/ordering seems to match which also corresponds to classes being
output in the same order in the bytecode of the swf content. But the class
members inside the bytecode for each class can be in a different order.
-there were also differences in the actual content between CI server and
local for nodejs externs, for unknown reasons

If there are indeed problems with the 'standard' against which the
alternative needs to be assessed then nobody is 'on the hook' or 'off the
hook'. So far it just means the starting point does not seem to be a
reliable reference implementation to attempt to match in the first place.
Let's focus on fixing that.