Hi all,

having listened carefully to all the voices from the community so far, I
have come down to the following conclusion.

There are many professionals among us that have been working in the shadows
supporting this project in diverse ways - evangelizing, advocating,
integrating, etc. without the 'shoulders' of a bold-named company like
Google or IBM (who has been the active maintainer of this project for a
number of years now).

My gut feeling so far has told me that - as has already happened with many
other technologies - these companies usually invest an amount of time and
money for experimenting with different types of technologies and if things
don't go as planned in the long run, what seems to be happening is that
some other company takes over on the experiment and so on, until no big
name is really interested any more.

During this lifecycle, many other companies are starting to adopt the
technologies and they are indeed putting them into good use to serve their
purposes.  And this is exactly where we stand at the moment.  I can totally
understand the feelings coming from Ichiro and Darren and at the same time
I get Ryan's point of view.  So how do we handle this situation?  Speaking
for myself, as I come from Greece and I have to live and work in a country
that is in crisis mode for quite a few years now, all I can say is that a
crisis can be the mother of invention and change for a better tomorrow.
And this is exactly how I see this situation - in a metaphorical way of
course :)

I think that now is the right time to make a change.  Things have changed
in our industry during the last 10 years and so have trends and
communities.  Maybe 10 years ago, the Apache Foundation was the place to be
but now this is definitely not the case - of course this doesn't mean that
the foundation is not the birthplace of great technologies.  But all the
action now is over at GitHub.

So, since Ryan gave us the green light (from the foundation's perspective)
that the project can be migrated, I'm outlining my proposals:

   - We break down the Shindig project into a number of distinct parts -
   personally I've never used the OpenSocial features and have no interest in
   them since I'm heavily focused on the gadget containment and rendering
   facilities.  But there are people like Rene who have invested a lot of time
   and work on extending the OpenSocial features.
   - We give it a brand new name - never liked the name Shindig in the
   first place (speaking for myself once more).  I think that this is very
   important since we want to make a bold statement to communities that this
   technology is active, we're using it and others should try it out because
   it may solve them a number of problems.
   - Create a modern web site on GitHub where we can all share our
   experiences through show cases, usage examples and tutorials
   - We start thinking around the concept of a gadget-centered marketplace
   - in the context of show casing stuff.  If I remember correctly Darren's
   team has already launched a project which is very similar to the iGoogle
   web site so he could certainly provide some ideas.
   - Issues and feature requests can be handled directly though GitHub in a
   more agile and community oriented approach without any of the bureaucratic
   processes imposed by the Apache Foundation.  Once the 'monolith' is broken
   down into different projects then it would be more manageable and people
   having certain skills could join forces
   - By utilizing technologies like Docker there is no need for hosting
   resources and sample material - we can bundle our examples, show cases, etc
   in self-sufficient Docker images and host them over @ DockerHub.  The
   integration with GitHub is seamless so this is a no brainer
   - Reach out to Atlassian, Jive and the rest of the companies who we know
   for sure that they have invested a lot in this technology (and actively use
   it) to help with this effort - e.g. Atlassian has extended Shindig
   container & engine to meet their requirements and they definitely have devs
   who know the bits and pieces

So the question now for me is really simple.  How many of us want to move
over to the next phase without getting into any sort of credibility issues
regarding our choices?  +1 from me.

Kind regards,
Chris

--