Hi Chris,

Thanks very much for your long and thoughtful message regarding the Apache
Shindig project.

As I've described previously, we've made an initial investment in time and
up-skilling, gone through
a proof-of-concept and prototype phase and await funding for a rebuild of
our weather displays
using the Gadget hosting and rendering facilities provided by Shindig. We
are planning to host our
services over Liferay, using its embedded Shindig service. I've also
managed to build out a
prototype of Shindig-over-Jetty as a much lighter host should we decide not
to use Liferay for all
of our services. As you, we've focused mostly on the Gadget containment and
rendering provided
by Shindig (and are quite excited about that as it allows our developers to
focus on individual
gadgets rather than either the portal environment or inadvertent
multiple-gadget interaction across
the global JavaScript space. The containment alone is worth the cost of
entry.

That said I still hope to see a stable trunk that we can use for what would
be a large part of our
enterprise weather delivery. We simply can't use a hobbyist-level software
package for that. I am
perhaps rather old-school in not quite grokking the importance of GitHub,
but I can accept yours
and some of my co-workers opinions on its viability and rising importance
in the dev world.

We would largely be interested mostly in the Gadget containment and
rendering facilities, as we
have yet to use the OpenSocial features, nor do we see a requirement for
them in our aviation-
and industry-focused products. So splitting the project would (to me) not
be an issue. But I can
understand that some might fear that such a split might endanger the
viability of the overall
package.

We look forward to a successful migration of the active project to a new
home, if that should come
to pass. At this point I cannot unfortunately commit to providing code or
support as our project is
currently on hold. But having Shindig resurface on GitHub would be almost a
requirement for it
to be funded at this point. I assume that all the other 'lurkers' out there
who are using Shindig
may be in a similar predicament.

All the best,

Ichiro