Mattias Engdegård wrote:
Julian Foad wrote:
Now let's see what follow-up we need.
Can you try it and see if it seems to be working, Mattias?
Done, and it seems to work well. Some observations:
Glad to hear it, and thanks for reporting these observations.
* As expected, lots of work to split the translated messages, although having a
mostly up-to-date translation helped a great deal.
I am still concerned that some other translators might be less willing
to do this without some automated help.
* The split into separate messages was done at empty line boundaries
throughout, but for very short paragraphs (1-2 lines), it would have been more
helpful to bunch a few of them together in order to get better context.
* Conversely, some strings are still on the longish side. "svn propset" and "svn
status" come to mind.
For these issues of paragraph length, I invite you to edit the source
text directly and make it nice.
* I found a paragraph that I had previously forgot to translate! Buried deep in
the svn merge help, of course.
* stats() in shelf-cmd.c isn't very translator-friendly:
info_str = apr_psprintf(scratch_pool,
_("%s, %s ago%s\n"),
version_str, age_str, paths_str);
which is hard to translate well in several languages. At the very least, sink the
"ago" part into age_str ("%d hours ago" etc). Speaking of which, the generation
of age_str would benefit from using gettext plurals. That's what it's there for!
OK, done throughout 'shelve-cmd.c' in http://svn.apache.org/r1826614 and
'auth-cmd.c' in http://svn.apache.org/r1826617 . I invite you to do the
same in other files.
* Normally, I only translate directly in the release branches and copy the
result to trunk. Translating trunk normally doesn't make sense at all, since
only developers use that code; it would just be a waste of time. In this case,
I decided to complete the translation in trunk as well, not just for the
paragraph split, to make sure that I hadn't overlooked anything.