An alternative is to do something very similar to the
maven-jaxb2-plugin in taverna-scufl2-t2flow

https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-language/blob/0.15.1-incubating/taverna-scufl2-t2flow/pom.xml#L43

with those schemas from
https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-language/tree/0.15.1-incubating/taverna-scufl2-t2flow/src/main/resources/org/apache/taverna/scufl2/translator/t2flow/xsd

(you should just need t2flow.xsd and t2annotations.xsd to get the
MimeType annotations)

If you generate that once, then you can also copy over the JAXB
annotated Java source files from target/generated-sources - which
perhaps is not best practice, but probably better than making a
gradle/Maven mixed project.  (Or find a jaxb plugin for gradle?)

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718