Yes, this doesn't apply for *sub*projects. Karaf, OpenWebBeans, ... are
examples doing that without any issues. Also the fact the license - even if
not explicit with a LICENSE file but only headers - is asf v2 in all
projects helps to smooth that procedure. So public
donation+license+subproject = no need to go through headaches IMHO.

Romain Manni-Bucau