On Sun, 29.05.16 12:53, Kevin Fenzi (ke...@scrye.com) wrote:

> So, my 2 cents...
>
> Some questions for upstream:
>
> * I assume killed processes are logged in the journal, but Is there
>   any way to have a 'permissive' version? ie, simply log what would
>   have been killed, but not do anything? That would be very helpful to
>   folks to identify things that would be affected here without
>   disrupting them at first. It would also allow bugs in other packages
>   to get fixed up.

No, there is no such scheme. There's only off an on. But I am not sure
adding something like this is really necessary, as you can always see
what's going to be killed via "loginctl user-status $USER"...

> * Does 'loginctl enable-linger <user>' take effect in the current
>   session? Or do you have to start a new one? does it persist over
>   sessions or only affects the current/next one?

It's a per-user setting and it applies per-user instantly.

> * How can I tell if linger is enabled or disabled on a user?

loginctl status $USER

> * enable-linger/disable-linger need root? So, the only way the user can
>   exclude things is to use systemd-run?

It's PolicyKit protected, but the default policy is liberal, and opens
this up for unprivileged clients.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat