On Mon, 30.05.16 01:43, John Dulaney (jdula...@gnu.org) wrote:

> You know, it seems to me that systemd doing this to work around a
> Gnome problem (and a problem I have not seen outside of Gnome), is
> sort of like glibc working around a bug in Firefox and at the same
> time breaking bash.  We're taking a bug in the Gnome stack and
> putting a 'fix' in systemd that breaks all sorts of applications.

This is a misunderstanding. Key here is that it is privileged code
that enforces clean-up after logout. While it certainly would be great
if all userspace software would clean up after itself, this is
ultimately of no relevance, as long as this clean-up is voluntary and
not enforced by the system.

The changed default here is really about defining the lifecycle of
unprivileged code by privileged code, and thus about security. An
unprivileged user should not be able run code at any time it wishes
unless the admin allowed this, and thus it needs to be the system that
enforces the lifecycle; and if it is opened up for clients it must go
through some authentication layer, such as PolicyKit, which it does
here.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat