On Wed, Jun 01, 2016 at 02:34:01PM -0400, Robert Marcano wrote:
> >I would really like to see a solution whereby tmux and screen _just
> >work_ without any required changes to user behavior. They're basically
> >commands which _indicate_ "I want a new session that persists".
> What about a default shell alias for those commands, Fedora already
> add a few aliases, not sure if there are packaging guidelines for
> that.
> The alias script could check if lingering is enabled and warn the
> user about it.
> The only problem is when people call tmux/screen from an script, I
> don't do it, I start them by hand on a terminal when I want it.
> Probably more people use them as part of a script.

Hacky, but it'd work for me if it worked transparently. (Or, make
/usr/bin/tmux et al be shell scripts which do the work.)

My opinion is that if we can solve tmux, screen, and nohup (and
possibly dtach), we'll hit the majority case, and we can document that
to get this behavior in other cases, either 1) use one of those, 2) use
the systemd-run command, or 3) change the config option.

(Actually, although I am not volunteering, one idea would be for nohup
to move into the systemd fold and be an alias to systemd-run with
special behavior (as telinit is to systemctl).)

--
Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org>