On Mon, 2016-05-30 at 12:05 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> The changed default here is really about defining the lifecycle of
> unprivileged code by privileged code, and thus about security.

Security against what?  Who is the attacker?  What is the threat model?

Bandying about the word "security" to justify a change that clearly
angers a lot of people does not make for a strong argument.  It is also
not the case that Fedora puts security above usability or expected
behavior in all cases.  The default SELinux policy does not deny
execmem/execstack/etc., even though there is a clear security story for
doing so, because it would break various things (web browsers, some
programming language runtimes, etc.) in ways that aggravate users.

>  An
> unprivileged user should not be able run code at any time it wishes
> unless the admin allowed this,

Are we planning to disable cron?  Is reconnecting to screen or tmux
sessions suddenly out?  VNC?  There are literally hundreds of use-cases
this kind of policy would break.

-- Ben