On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 3:57 PM, Dennis Gilmore <den...@ausil.us> wrote:
> El lun, 04-09-2017 a las 17:33 +0100, Richard Hughes escribió:
>> On 4 September 2017 at 17:15, Dennis Gilmore <den...@ausil.us> wrote:
>> > The correct way to deal with appstream is to add the appstream data
>> > rpm headers and then teach createrepo to make the appropriate
>> > metadata
>> > files.
>>
>> I'm sure we've had this discussion before, but:
> We have had this discussion about 3 or 4 times.
>
>> * What happens if a single package contains two desktop files?
> both end up in the headers,
>> * Would we embed a 32bit color 128x128 icon in the rpm header (10kb
>> per app)?
> we would have to, there is simply no sane way to extract and manage
> things from inside the rpms. the appdata being agnostic is great, but
> there has to be a technology specific way to manage the data without
> expensive overhead
>
>> * Would we embed all the translations in the appdata file, or just
>> the
>> entire appdata file (92kb per app)?
>> * Would we include the entire .desktop file and all the translations
>> there too?
>>
>> > you would then have appropriate appdata in the server,
>> > workstation etc repos
>>
>> We'd have larger rpms for no end-user gain. The metadata just has to
>> exist long enough to be collected into one large AppStream file (and
>> included in the metadata repomd. I see no gain whatsoever for
>> distributing the single-package appstream metadata as part of the
>> package download or included in the rpmdb. It's just a workaround,
>> just the same as running appstream-builder+modifyrepo on a tree of
>> built rpms is.
>
> we would have a end user gain, they would get consistent updated
> correct data all the time.

We could do that *now*. Other distributions (openSUSE, Mageia, Debian,
etc.) generate the metadata and append it to the repodata, so that it
*is* consistent since it was made along with the regular metadata.

It would probably be somewhat faster with createrepo_c itself
supporting it, but it's not mandatory.