On Tue, 1 Oct 2019 at 10:18, Joe Doss <j...@solidadmin.com> wrote:

> On 9/26/19 11:57 AM, Ken Dreyer wrote:
> > I would like to hear if you see Pagure as still strategic, and if so,
> > how we can make these common user operations faster.
>
> I always wondered why Fedora home rolled their own Github/Gitlab clone.

Because when development started, neither was a market winner. When
development ideas started, Launchpad was where everything was moving
to and people kept saying that Fedora was falling behind because it
didn't have its own Launchpad and the hosted solution we were using
with Trac was so lame.

Then when GitHub started to take over, it is closed source and that
was a big nono for services from Fedora developers. [AKA we move to
Github various package owners were going to drop their packages and
leave.] Gitlab was also looked at but then there was a push to run it
ourselves and it is a ruby frame and we are a python shop. Once you
start to stand it up you find you need a lot more hardware/software
configs to make it scale for the amount we are pulling/pushing into
git. That then leads to needing more equipment which leads to...

Then there are problems with budgets and figuring out what exactly it
would cost. We fall outside of many of the 'caveats' that would allow
us to get free. We pull/push too much data (as people with coprs
regularly find out when throttled down to 0), we eat a lot of data, we
are not a non-profit etc. That means moving to anything costs money,
but figuring out what it costs vs random bill of the month is not
trivial. Which then means it takes a long time

So you could sit around and just let pagure wither while waiting for
Godot, or you could continue to improve it and make it something
people may want to use for other things.

> Using either Github or Gitlab would be better for new users to get
> started with helping to contribute back to Fedora without having to jump
> through hoops to figure out how to work around the pitfalls of Pagure.
>
> Joe
>

> --
> Joe Doss
> j...@solidadmin.com