On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 7:26 PM Adam Williamson <adamw...@fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2019-12-06 at 18:51 -0600, Richard Shaw wrote:
> > After reading this thread I think this is a more serious problem than
> just
> > this package. I had "assumed" modules were just normal, so I didn't
> > question them being installed.
>
> They are normal. You're not wrong. The problem is well understood at
> this point: a module was given a stream default - meaning it becomes
> the default source of packages it contains. That module includes
> protobuf, meaning it takes over from the non-modular repo as the
> default source of protobuf. The build of protobuf it contains was
> missing some bits that other packages depend on, which broke those
> packages.

I guess I should say that part of my problem is that:

1. I didn't ask for/want a module.
2. They aren't actually needed. After disabling them and reinstalling the
programs I care about (or could have used distro-sync) they weren't
actually needed.

> I have not intentionally enabled/installed any modules but through regular
> > updates I now have the following installed:
>
> Well, yes. That's what happens. If this didn't actually break anything
> for you, you don't really need to panic, but if you want to sync with
> the current state (where the module stream default has been removed at
> least temporarily), just disable the modules that were enabled and then
> run 'dnf distro-sync'. That should return you to the non-modular
> builds.

I guess I understand some programs needed a specific/older version of
something as a "good" reason to put something in a module, but I'm finding
myself more a purest and I don't think we should have more than one source
of "truth", or in this case, multiple ways to fulfill a dependency.

Thanks,
Richard