On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 8:15 PM Jeremy Cline <jer...@jcline.org> wrote:

> Hi Leigh,
>
> On Fri, 2020-04-03 at 17:00 +0100, Leigh Griffin wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 4:20 PM Jeremy Cline <jer...@jcline.org>
> > wrote:
> > > mkone...@redhat.com>
> > > gone
> > > possibly
> > > work
> > > days,
> > > the
> > > at
> > > illusion.
> > > had
> >
> > Sorry I missed this among the thread splits and dozens of other
> > replies. Ping me offlist if you have specific concerns as I do not
> > believe my comment infers a lack of value in your work or any other
> > contributor for that matter and the wealth of positive comments since
> > is validating that your contributions were indeed most welcome and
> > appreciative. If I did somehow infer that your work had no value, I
> > do apologise, lets connect though if you have concerns.
> >

> I'm not sure how to be more specific, but here goes:
>
> When you said "the team have moved from a model of siloed work on
> multiple apps, swimming against the tid[e] working 16 hour days, to
> working on team oriented initiatives to add *real value* to the
> ecosystem" (emphasis is mine in order to be more specific), it made me
> feel that what you are saying is prior work didn't add "real value".
> Other comments you have made in this thread (e.g. "We aren't in the
> habit of inventing work to do for ourselves anymore") re-enforce this
> feeling.
>
> While you may believe your comments never implied a lack of value,
> I'm not sure how else to interpret your comments throughout this
> thread.

Thanks for the clarity Jeremy, I'm sorry if you took my mail up as implying
a lack of value from how the team historically worked. As a team we are
being tasked more and more with adding what I call real value which is at a
new app / service level that has scale, quality and requirements that
historically a single developer could not call on. We had some superhuman
developers in the past in the team that were able to do every single thing
an application needed and produced some wonderful applications that in
truth would have taken 10 or more developers to replicate. That team has
moved on now and the old style of working was not going to meet the needs
and wants of our stakeholders (in this case Fedora Council) and a
repurposing of the team to make visible impacts was undertaken. So while we
cannot have multiple commits across a plethora of services, we are not
focusing our efforts on singular services at a time to generate a value
proposition for the community. Sorry once again if you took my comment up
as being a sleight, it was most definitely not intended and you have my
sincere apologies.

--

Leigh Griffin

Engineering Manager