On Wed, 13 May 2020 at 09:17, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kof...@chello.at> wrote:

> David Kaufmann wrote:
> > If abstentions would lower the necessary +1 votes, this would
> > automatically give the author of a proposal a +1 vote for the proposal,
> > depending on the author being in FESCo himself/herself.
>
> It would actually give them only half a vote. Whether a single half vote
> amounts to a whole vote depends on how ties are handled.

How about making this simpler: plurality wins

If the plurality is +1, then it passes
If the plurality is +0, then it goes to more discussion (or drop
because people are tired).
If the plurality is -1 then it fails
If there is a tie, it goes to more discussion.

So a 4 +1, 5 0, 0 -1 means more discussion.

Yes there will be corner cases, and ways to rig things.. there is no
system which is going to beat Arrow's theorem. We either deal with it
at the time or give up now because there is no perfect solution and no
group of people are going to agree that there is a good solution
either.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.