On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 11:22 PM Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 2:21 PM Gary Buhrmaster
> <gary.buhrmas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 7:40 PM Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Bias is not the same thing as a conflict of interest. And it doesn't
> > > inherently result in unfairness.
> >
> > Sometimes it is a matter avoiding even the appearance
> > of impropriety that could be raised at a later date to
> > question the process/motives/decisions (which often
> > just delays the inevitable, but sometimes the delay is
> > the point).
>
> Of course voting members need to trust their instincts. I only mean to
> indicate bias is not the same thing as a conflict of interest; and
> also further that a very strong preference that's predicated on
> evidence and experience isn't even bias, certainly not in the
> prejudiced sense. Anyone who thinks their objectivity is compromised
> on some topic should recuse; and anyone who knows another's
> objectivity is compromised should feel comfortable to point this out
> and ask for recusal.
>
> > Regardless, I would suggest that along the way, if
> > FESCo does not have a set of guidelines regarding
> > if recusal on any vote is appropriate, they should consider
> > writing down whatever they decide is appropriate (or
> > just point to some other groups process if that is
> > appropriate), even if the decision is no recusal is
> > ever required, so we don't have this discussion all
> > over again in a year or two when everyone has
> > forgotten this one.
>
> It's reasonable to have clarity on the issue. I'm not an ombudsman or
> ethicist, but there is such a person or group within Red Hat who could
> answer this question. It might even be as straightforward as each
> voting member filling out a questionnaire so that their possible
> conflicts are known, and they can steer clear of such areas. But I
> think Fedora has quite a lot of compartmentalization in the
> organizational structure that just inherently avoids the problem.
>
> Anyway I came across this which is informative, even though it applies
> mainly to charities (Fedora is a non-profit so it's approximate).
> https://charitylawyerblog.com/2014/02/10/managing-conflicts-of-interest/

Sorry but this is exactly the conversation I didn't want to have.

The methods described there are needed when you don't have other ways
to resolve the described issues.
And these methods are ugly. Yes, in case you have such a problem,
there are no good ways out, so you have to do something.

Fortunately, we just don't have this problem.

We are Open Source community based on knowledge, skill and trust. Yes,
some of us found ways to get paid for the work we love to do anyways,
some of us spend free time on it, many do both. And it doesn't really
matter, because we can evaluate our decisions and argue about them.

And if I support a change, i support a change. You can scratch my name
from it and put anyone else's. If it has the same content, I am still
going to support it.
You can write your own change, but if you convince me, it becomes _my_
Change, Change in my Fedora, which I am going to defend for FESCo, or
for Fedora community, or as a Fedora Ambassador for the outside world.

So I don't want us to _solve_ conflicts of interest, I think that we
don't really have them.

And we shouldn't _bring_ them artificially either.

> --
> Chris Murphy

Aleksandra Fedorova
bookwar