On 4/20/23 17:20, Matthew Miller wrote:

Most of the conversation was under the subject “Schedule for Tuesday's
FESCo Meeting (2023-01-03)”, because everything started as a reply to
that. That’s pretty easy to overlook. It’s possible for replies to
change  the subject when replying, but that can’t be done
retroactively, and then isn’t consistent (and it breaks threading in
Gmail, too).

At the risk of causing at least one of the problems that Matthew pointed out, this is the most important one for me: lots of people say "I decide what to read based on what I see in my email client", but when the subject of the emails doesn't reflect their contents, that's a losing proposition. I completely ignored the thread in question until a *different* thread referred to it and I learned about the conversation going on there.

On another note: I've been an active Discourse user since the 'early adopter' days, and frequent at least six Discourse sites of varying content volumes. I've learned good ways to stay on top of what is going on without having to open each site on a daily basis, and while it's not as low-effort as mailing lists are, I've found the benefits to be worth the increased effort. In fact many of the replies in this thread have complaints/concerns about aspects of Discourse usage which have been 'solved' already, but the person making the complaint/voicing the concern just isn't aware of the solutions available yet... so for those people I encourage you to ask for assistance learning how to address the problems you perceive, instead of claiming the problems can't be solved.

A case in point is the statement "it's so hard to know what's new": I struggled with this as well, until I learned about configuring the behavior of the 'New' tab in Discourse, and aggressively filtering out categories and tags I do not care about. Now I can click 'refresh' while looking at the 'New' tab on a highly active site and I will see *all* of the New topics that are of potential interest to me. In the end this is very similar to taking the same actions in a local mail client, but more capable since it is based on metadata about the topics and not just the often-incorrect subject lines in email threads.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
He/Him/His