On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 04:55:00PM +0200, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> * Kevin P. Fleming [21/04/2023 10:03] :
> >
> >                                             lots of people say "I decide
> > what to read based on what I see in my email client", but when the subject
> > of the emails doesn't reflect their contents, that's a losing proposition.
>
> I agree there's a huge lack of netiquette in Fedora's mailing lists,
> with wholesale quoting, top-posting, subjects not being updated, etc but
> changing mediums seems far more expensive than asking people to post
> emails that are easier to read.

I generally find the term "netiquette" to be quite unpleasant, because
it is historically frequently applied in user hostile manner, where
people repeatedly rebuke (new) contributors/participants who don't
follow the "rules", which has the effect of discouraging engagement
with the project.

Contributor guidelines are fine, but it is important to accept, expect
and tolerate that people are *NOT* going to following the guidelines,
for a variety of reasons.

IMHO the application of "netiquette" rules in a particular scenario is
usually a sign that the tools being used are inadequate for the job
they're be applied to.

With regards,
Daniel