On Tuesday, 25 April 2023 at 12:30, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Dominik Mierzejewski:
>
> > You don't have threaded replies, either. And quoting the post you're
> > replying to is entirely non-intuitive. It took me a while to discover
> > that you have to click on the "speech bubble" icon inside the editor that
> > opens after you click reply.
>
> In some instances at least, you can select the text in the fragment you
> are replying to, and a quote button will appear.  I at least found that
> quite discoverable.

You have to use your mouse to do it, which is too disrupting for me.

> >> Renaming topics works in a much saner way.
> >> You can deal with 'cross-posting' in a much saner and more flexible
> >> way. Quoting is always a problem everywhere, but that's only *one*
> >> thing, at least. :D
> >
> > Quoting and threading are the fundamental features in text-based
> > non-realtime conversations, so switching to a medium that offers
> > inferior quoting and no threading is questionable at best.
>
> I tend to agree, but most clients only offer rudimentary support to show
> the metadata that's there.  Nowadays, a lot of people pick a random
> message in a thread and reply to that, disregarding what that particular
> message contributed to the conversation.  I can't really blame them
> because in the interfaces they are used do, it does not make a
> difference for presentation purposes.

That seems to be the sad reality of many of the web-based forums
I sometimes visit, so yes, my anecdotal evidence confirms your
observations.

> I'm not sure if nested threading
> in email ever went mainstream, to be honest.

It depends on the mailing lists you are subscribed to. The technical
ones tend to make use of threading efficiently.

> Discourse and similar tools may merely reflect that lack of
> familiarity.

No argument there.

> I couldn't consume the volume of mail I process without it because
> nested threading still works on most of the technical lists I frequent,
> but I suppose it's a dying art.

Call me a dinosaur. ;) I have no intention of dying out any time soon,
though. ;)

Regards,
Dominik
--