On Saturday 19 July 2008 21:25:55 Nate Ridderman wrote:
> Andr�s,
>
> Go is one of my favorite games, so I'm excited to see that someone has
> picked up development again! It requires such balance between
> aggressiveness and defense, as well as local play vs spreading out on the
> board - I think it's a great game for kids to learn. I look forward to
> trying out a new version, and I agree that collaboration is an important
> problem to tackle soon. Adding GnuGo (http://www.gnu.org/software/gnugo/)
> support would be a great addition too. It would be nice to support GnuGo
> and collaboration over the same networking framework, but I don't know
> enough about the
> collaboration framework and Bitfrost to know if this is a possibility.
> GnuGo generally runs as it's own process and communicates over GTP (
> http://www.gnu.org/software/gnugo/gnugo_19.html#SEC196).
>
> It seems there's a lack of documentation for people like yourself who want
> to pick up development on an existing activity. Most people who want shell
> access to dev.laptop.org also want to host a new activity. I wasn't able to
> find anything on the wiki about requesting shell access. Maybe putting a
> blurb on the wiki about who to contact would be helpful.
>
> Nate

Dear Nate,

  Thanks for your interest! I also like Go a lot, even though I'm very bad at
it! :P. I also think it's a great game for kids, most strong go players start
very young, and a lot turn pro before age 15.
  GnuGo integration is certainly the way to go (no pun intended XD), maybe we
can use a local gnugo instance speaking GTP with the Activity, for what I
see, it shouldn't be too hard. The standard API for sharing (Telepathy tubes)
can be used by the "host" to tell the other player what's going on. I'm just
thinking out loud here, as I yet have to delve into the sharing API. Maybe
one of the experts here can give us some pointers :).

--
 -Andrés