Hi everyone,

GPL with linking exception seems relevant in this discussion -- especially
since eCOS, which is also a well-known embedded OS, uses this license.

As a side note, but highly related: at Embedded World yesterday, we met
with the Eclipse Foundation [1] guys.
RIOT is now officially invited to become an Eclipse project.

There are a number of advantages to be under the Eclipse umbrella: they
provide legal services, and the IoT part of this umbrella [2] is actively
helping communities such as RIOT to grow organically: in particular they
promise promotion, and matchmaking with other FOSS communities and relevant
industrial partners.

There are however strings attached: Eclipse has good reputation as far as I
can tell, but nevertheless some of our independence is lost if we join, and
we have to use the Eclipse Public License [3].

In any case, the Eclipse Foundation guys were stressing that CLAs [4] are
crucial, whatever we do, whether we join Eclipse Foundation or not.

Best,

Emmanuel

[1] https://eclipse.org/org/foundation/
[2] http://iot.eclipse.org