On May 15, 2009, at 11:57 AM, xor wrote:

> On Friday 15 May 2009 18:37:12 Thomas Sachau wrote:
>> xor schrieb:

>>> IMHO the current behavior is a "bug" though: We have the MDNS
>>> plugin,
>>> which is installed by default and should automatically (opennet-)
>>> connect
>>> nodes on a LAN. However it does not work because LAN connections are
>>> disallowed by default.
>>
>> Afaik that plugin is no longer installed by default.
>
> Why not? I like the idea of self-organizing Freenet on LANs very
> much :)
>
> Especially if you consider large public or private LANs where two
> people
> running Freenet might not even know each others, so they couldn't
> get manually
> connected.

Hmmm... but does a node want to advertise that we are running freenet?
Maybe dependent on the security level setting.

In either case, a small network would have major issues if it was not
also connected to the large network, and so I think still that
automatically detecting locality based on external ip address would
help (e.g. a node could preferentially keep any opennet peers that it
finds as being local).

--
Robert Hailey