On Sat, 2016-10-15 at 14:33 +0000, Ian Clarke wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 12:49 AM, Florent Daigniere nextgens@freenetproje
> ct.org
> wrote:
> In any case the result is inferior to the current solution. It will:
> - require user-interaction (and an ugly UX element) to switch language
> (for those without JS)
>
> Almost all users will have JS.

Our user-base is less likely than the average to have it enabled, that's
why I am pointing it out here.

> Almost all users will have cookies, especially if they have
> javascript.
> We should not hurt the experience of the vast majority of users (who
> will have modern js and cookie enabled browsers) to preserve the
> experience of a tiny minority that might not.
> An alternative we could consider is hosting on Google App Engine, but
> that would add considerable complexity, and might require Dan to redo
> some of his work on porting the site.

Or S3/cloudfront or something else. Speaking of which, do we plan to
drop SSL support too? Or the domain that we have been using for a decade
and a half?

From
https://help.github.com/articles/securing-your-github-pages-site-with-https/
"HTTPS is not supported for GitHub Pages using custom domains."

From January onwards, Chrome users (I'd bet that other browsers will follow
 suit) will be warned that they are connecting over an insecure website.
https://security.googleblog.com/2016/09/moving-towards-more-secure-web.html

Florent