On Monday, 12 August 2013 at 15:55:10 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
My view may indeed be heavily tinted by Windows, where this sort of thing just isn't an issue to care about. I suppose I'll have to adjust that a bit.

Hah, yeah, I guess the very understanding of user-distributed "package" is very different between various OS users. As far as I remember, it was considered a normal practice to pack all used shared libraries with programs installation in Windows (ignoring "shared" part) - something that is allowed in Linux repository packages only in absolutely exceptional cases. And Mac OS is somewhere in between.